Protestant churches

Beijing

Chongwenmen Protestant Church

The original church was built in 1870, making this is the oldest Protestant consecrated site still in use in Beijing. Initiated by the American Methodists, the first church was called the Asbury Church and was designed to hold several hundred worshippers, and was expanded in 1882.

After the church was destroyed during the Boxer Uprising in 1900, some of the money raised through the Boxer Indemnity was used to construct the current church building. As the Methodist mission expanded the church was surrounded by a hospital, several schools, a theological seminary and part of Peking University. In 1958 the church buildings were given to No. 125 Middle School (the successor to the mission schools), when it was used as an assembly hall. During the Cultural Revolution, the interior of the church was badly damaged.

In 1982, the church was given to the Beijing Christian Council, and renovation work began. The church was reopened at Christmas, 1982 and regular services have been held ever since. It now brings together more than 2000 worshippers for each service, and government grants in 2001 allowed for a comprehensive refurbishment. The church has been visited by a number of American presidents and foreign dignitaries over the years.

Zhushikou Protestant Church

Formerly a Methodist Church, built and expanded between 1904 and 1921. The building is now divided into three separate floors which all worship simultaneously via video link.

Yanjing Theological Seminary

Established in June 1986 by the TSPM committees for Beijing, Tianjin, Hebei, Shanxi, Inner Mongolia, Gansu, Ningxia, Qinghai and Xinjiang provinces. Yanjing subsumed the former Beijing Theological Seminary and Tianjin Theological Seminary. Four-year undergraduate programmes result in the awarding of the bachelor degree.

 

Chongwenmen Protestant Church
Chongwenmen Protestant church reopened in Christmas 1982. © Peter Scholl
© Churches Together in Britain and Ireland 2010